Many resources are available to help you become a more educated honey-taster with the ability to distinguish various aromas and flavors in honey.
- Spencer, Suzy. “The Basics of Honey Tasting.” Bee Buzz, Fall (2018), pages 31-33. ncbeekeepers.org. Web. Accessed October 2018.
- Boyd, Barbara. “A Taste of Honey: Using Sensory Analysis to Evaluate and Market Your Honey.” Bee Culture, September (2011), pages 40-44. Print.
- Marchese, Marina. “Learning to be an Expert in the Sensory Analysis of Honey.” Bee Culture, September (2015), pages 83-84. Print.
- Ress, Suzanne. “Sensory Analysis of Honey.” American Bee Journal, January (2017), pages 75-79. Print.
Honey Flavor and Aroma Wheels
- Honey Aroma and Tasting Wheel. 2013. Available from the American Honey Tasting Society, Weston, CT.
- Honey Flavor Wheel. 2014. Available from the UC-Davis Honey and Pollination Center, Davis, CA. Accessed October 2018.
- Flottum, Kim. The Backyard Beekeepers’ Honey Handbook. 2009. Bloomington: Quarry Books. Print. 168 pages (17 of these pages contain descriptions of 76 nectar plants).
- Marchese, Marina and Flottum, Kim. The Honey Connoisseur. 2013. New York; Black Dog and Leventhal. Print. 208 pages (78 of these pages contain descriptions/honey profiles for 34 nectar plants).
- Simmons, Marie. Taste of Honey. 2013. Kansas City: Andrews McMeel Publishing. Print. 184 pages (15 of these pages contain descriptions/honey profiles for 40 nectar plants).
If you have questions, comments, or items to add, please contact Suzy Spencer at NCHoneyTasting@gmail.com.