Journeyman is the second level in the Master Beekeeper Program.
- Maintain an uninterrupted membership in the NCSBA since receiving the Certified Beekeeper Level of the MBP, or three consecutive years of membership prior to being qualified to take any Journeyman Exam. Membership must be maintained through the Journeyman certification process or the three-year rule referenced above will be applied.
- Hold a Certified level Beekeeper certification for a minimum of one year before being permitted to take any Journeyman Level Beekeeper Exam.
- Pass a written examination, administered by an NCSBA MBP representative at one of the statewide conferences or testing events. Written exams cannot be taken on consecutive days at the Spring or Summer conferences.
- Pass a Practical Examination administered by an NCSBA MBP representative. Candidates must take the written Journeyman Beekeeper Level exam before being permitted to take nay part of the Journeyman Practical exam. Only five Journeyman Practical sections will be offered at one sitting. Those may be repeated until four have been passed. No further Practical sections will be offered until the candidate qualifies for and takes the Master written exam. Practical exams cannot be taken on consecutive days at the Spring or Summer conferences.
- Have a minimum of two years of beekeeping experience.
- Have completed five service credits.
- Passing grade for the written Journeyman Level exam will be raised form 70% to 75% effective January 1, 2020.
In order to prepare for the journeyman level, the following materials are available:
- Journeyman/Master Written Exam Study Guide
- Journeyman Practical Test Form
- Instructions and Form for Reporting to the MBP Committee
- List of Valid Public Service Credits
Testing will be done at the spring and summer NCSBA conferences and regional testing sites in the fall.
Master Beekeepers will issue the written and practical test to Journeyman applicants. A Committee of Master Beekeepers will review and grade the test, service hours credits, and practical results to determine if applicant has completed all requirements to receive Journeyman Level.
On passing, a certificate of completion will be forwarded to the affiliated Regional Director and arrangements will be made with the club president for presentation to the Journeyman. The Journeyman’s name will be added to the NCSBA list of “JOURNEYMAN BEEKEEPERS”.
If you have questions, please contact email@example.com.