The Master is the third level in the Master Beekeeper Program, and reflects a beekeeper who has demonstrated expertise in beekeeping and in a number of other specialized areas.
In order to become a Master Beekeeper, you must:
- Maintain an uninterrupted membership in the NCSBA since receiving the Journeyman Level Beekeeping certificate or 3 consecutive years of membership prior to being qualified to take any Master exam. Membership must be maintained through the Master certification process or the three year rule referenced above will apply.
- Hold the Journeyman Level Beekeeper certificate for a minimum of 1 year before being permitted to take any Master Beekeeper Level beekeeper exam.
- Pass a written examination, administered by an NCSBA MBP representative at a statewide conference or testing event. Written exams cannot be taken on consecutive days at the Spring or Summer conferences.
- Pass a Practical Examination, administered by an NCSBA MBP representative. Candidates must take the written Master Beekeeper Level exam before being permitted to take any of the remaining parts of the Journeyman Practical exam. The candidate must successfully complete 8 of 9 Journeyman Practical sections. Practical exams cannot be taken on consecutive days at the Spring or Summer conferences.
- Complete 6 of the 20 Sub Specialties demonstrating excellence in beekeeping specialties.
- Have four years of beekeeping experience. (One year minimum as Journeyman Beekeeper)
- Complete ten additional service credits after completing the Journeyman level.
- Assist in some manner as a volunteer at a state meeting or convention.
- Passing grade for the written Master Level exam is 80%.
- A Master Level field exam is required to evaluate and document the candidate’s ability to conduct and orate a viable hive inspection recognizing conditions relating to colony status, health, vigor, resources, and queen status. Your actions during the field exam must demonstrate your attention to personal and observer safety while highlighting your general education versus personal bias; including but not limited to chemical and chemical-free husbandry. Achieving the Master Beekeeper Level of the NCSBA MBP mandates that a candidate assume the responsibility of ambassadorship with both fellow beekeepers and the public at large. Candidates should thoroughly review the Master Beekeeper Field Exam form. Pay close attention to the “Examiner Guidelines” so you are familiar with what the examiners expect. The exam can be scheduled by contacting the MBP Chairman.
A notebook is suggested for record keeping and for documenting competence at each specialty. Also for listing and documenting each additional ten service credits. In order to prepare for the Master level, the following materials are available:
In order to prepare for the Master level, the following materials are available:
- Journeyman/Master Written Exam Study Guide
- List of Valid Public Service Credits
- List of Beekeeping Sub-Specialties
- Instructions and Form for Reporting to the MBP Committee
- Master Beekeeper Field Exam form
If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Master BeekeepersRobert Anders • David Arnold • Randall Austin • Dale Aycock • Phil Barfield • Brother Allen Blanton • James Blye • Edd Buchanan • Dorothy Butler • Lewis Cauble • Greg Clements • Sam Coble • Shelly Cooper • Rick Coor • Karen Damari • Scott Davis • Denise Deacon • Gus Dowdy • Ron Duncan • Justin Dyson • Terry Dyson • David Eckert • Sally Ellis • Doug Faggart • Gray Fisher • Charles Fleckenstein • Darryl Gabritsch • Bob Gaddis • Larry Green Jr • Buzz Griffin • Deborah Griffith • Kim Guillemette • Art Halstead • Rick Harty • Jackie Hawkins • Charles Heatherly • Reuben Hill • Berry Hines Sr • Dale Hinkle • Joe Hoggard • Wayne Holland • Anne Houck • Ray Hunt • Will Johnson • Ralph Johnston • Barry Jones • Kenny Jones Jr • Bob Kemper • Mike Kerr • Bill Lathan • William Lathan • Janno Lewis • Hugh Madison • Stacy Marriner • Buddy Marterre • Chris Mendenhall • Jody Moore • Bill Moran • DJ Moran • Herve Morini • Bill Mullins • Etienne Nadeau • Cheryl Newbold • Paul Newbold • Brad Niven • Floyd Parker • JoAnne Parker • Janet Peterson • Mark Anthony Powers • Jim Rash • Roland Reed • Henry Reid • Marcel Renn • Ray Revis • Debra Roberts • Greg Rogers • Wayne Rose • David Segrest • Billy Smith • Joe Smith • Robert Smith • Cynthia Speed • Karen Speer • Jeff Stone • John Strickland • Lawton Suggs • Mellie Swaney • Julie Taylor • Scott Taylor • Bill Thering • B Townes • Carolyn Treffinger • Phil Uptmor • Todd Walker • John Wallace Sr • Monica Warner • Todd Warner • Patricia Weisbrodt • Stephen West • Jimmy Williams • Gregory Wolgemuth • Gayle Young • Jerry Zima